Winter Bisque with Cheddar and Chestnuts
- 4 medium parsnips, diced (about 12 oz.)
- 2 small fennel bulbs, diced (about 1 lb. each)
- 1 large sweet onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) Extra Sharp Valley Forge® Cheddar cheese, shredded (11/2 cups)
- 6 Tbsp. sherry, divided
- 1 tsp. butter
- 8-10 cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup Il Villaggio® Mascarpone cheese
- Twig of fresh thyme to decorate
- In a Dutch oven, combine parsnips, fennel, onion, broth and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer covered until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Purée with an immersion blender until smooth (or do in batches in a blender). Add Cheddar cheese and 4 Tbsp. sherry. Simmer, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Cover and keep warm.
- In a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add butter and chestnuts and cook, stirring constantly, until browned and crisp, 3-4 minutes.
- To serve, stir together Mascarpone cheese and remaining 2 Tbsp. sherry. Swirl into each serving of soup and sprinkle with chestnuts. Decorate with thyme.
© Schratter Foods, Inc. 2013